artSTORM.nft is a collaborative project that leverages the power of art and decentralized technology to support and promote the creation of green art spaces in urban areas in Africa.
Organized as a DAO, artSTORM.nft is a collaboration between four organizations – ethsafari DAO, Public Space Network, About Art Africa, and Afrofuture DAO, with the objective to make more green art spaces.
We will bring together community-based teams of placemakers and street artists, to bring a green art storm to the walls of Nairobi and Kilifi Kenya. The project has the following objective;
- 1. To give greater exposure to the work of artists in Africa and provide them with new market opportunities in the digital space.
- 2. To leverage the intersection of art and technology to promote the growth of urban green spaces in Africa.
- 3. To showcase the power of decentralized technology for environmental and social transformation.
During the inaugural 2022 edition of artSTORM.nft, 20 brown, disused, or polluted spaces in Nairobi and Kilifi will be transformed into clean, safe, inclusive, and vibrant spaces for the community. The walls in these spaces will be transformed into works of art by some of the region’s best street artists and collaborate with teams of placemakers to transform these brown spaces into green spaces.
Each transformation will be embedded in an NFT, containing before/after shots, high-res photos of the wall art and immersive video recordings of the new space. The NFT sale will launch around the ethsafari conference taking place on 18-24th, September 2022. Proceeds from the sales will support the artists and placemakers.
artSTORM.nft is a recurring project that will take place in selected cities across the continent, with the first artSTORM happening this September in Nairobi and Kilifi, Kenya.
Artstorm ’22 Timeline
- Grassroots youth groups (placemakers) that want to create green spaces in their neighborhoods are invited to express their interest by 15.8.2022 via the website: https://artstorm.ethsafari.xyz/ or by email to email@example.com or on Instagram @artstorm.nft
- Placemakers using their resources will start working on transforming their spaces on 15 August and complete it by 3 September 2022.
- Artists will be able to register for the artSTORM.nft competition until 08.08.2022 via the website: https://artstorm.ethsafari.xyz/.
- A dedicated committee will shortlist artists based on their profiles and previous works.
- The shortlisted artists will be asked to produce 20 murals on dedicated walls and selected spaces during the STORM.
- The STORM – In the first week of September 2022 (4th to 11th), all the 20 murals will be painted within one week.
- The completed artworks will be digitally photographed and then minted into Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) which will be sold on the sidelines of the EthSafari Conference from 18 – 24th September 2022.
- Proceeds from the sale of the NFTs will go to the artists and the placemakers.
- If you wish to sponsor artSTORM.nft, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Partners
ethsafari is a DAO, established to raise the profile of African web 3 projects and bridge the gap with the larger Ethereum ecosystem around the world through conferences, hackathons, and other projects across the continent.
Public Space Network
PSN is an award-winning network of grassroots community organizations working to reclaim and regenerate neglected public spaces into clean, green, safe and healthy public spaces in urban areas in Africa. Since 2014, PSN has worked with over 3000 young people and helped to regenerate over 500 spaces in Nairobi.
Public spaces and especially green spaces are rapidly disappearing in African cities under the pressure of a fast-growing population and mass exodus of people into cities. Public spaces and green spaces are critical for the well-being and quality of life of city dwellers. PSN is therefore constantly looking for ways to push the public space agenda and artSTORM presents yet another innovative partnership and opportunity to push this message across while rewarding those youth groups that are dedicated to this course.
About Art Africa
About Art Africa is a Kenya-based social enterprise with a pan-African worldview, working in the contemporary art sector. Our mission is to foster closer collaboration and linkages within the local art ecosystem.
Our objectives are to (i) build networks, linkages, and partnerships and foster collaboration between the local visual art ecosystem with government, corporates and development agencies, (ii) promote wider access to art for the public, and (iii) build resilience and sustainable markets for local visual artists and (iv) enhance the visibility of the local visual art practice & heritage in mainstream media and international platforms.
Quote: This initiative is a great way to involve artists in Kenyan society. It’s also an opportunity for them to connect with their audience in public spaces and to emphasize how artworks bring value to the city. Both urban planning and art are great ways to bring different communities together.
Afrofuture is a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) whose objective is to unlock the value of Africa’s history and creative industries in Web3 by onboarding African artists into the opportunities of web 3 and NFTs. Along with the launch of the first partner, the Mohamed Amin Foundation AfrofutureDAO launched its Ethereum-based social currency called $Afrofuture. Each quarter, 5 NFTs from the Mohamed Amin Collection are auctioned off to collectors with proceeds from each sale going towards building and sustaining the $Afrofuture community.
Each quarter, as well as 5 incredible African Artists, are commissioned, through these quarterly NFT drops Afrofuture aims to catalyze dialogue about the stories and context behind these African stories while using $Afrofuture to organize creative efforts towards inspiring its future.
Quote from Ekene Odigwe, The Programme and Operations Team Lead at Afrofuture.
This Partnership will help African Artists and enthusiasts create a smooth transition from web 2 to Web 3 through our all-inclusive Onboarding programmes. The AFTR social tokens will offer them the power to vote on proposals, contribute their voices and decide which of the programmes to be worked on while taking advantage of the DAO’s tools and resources to tell a better African Story within the theme of Afrofuturism.